Monday, November 28, 2011

The Birth Story

So, on Wednesday, November 23 I stopped in for my final biophysical and Logan was still happy in there. The nurse said I could stay pregnant up until my due date with no problem then beep! went the blood pressure machine and the reading stopped her partway through her sentence. The numbers were way too high and she said I needed a plan for delivery. So, it was off to my OB. He did a rough measurement  and his face showed concern... he was getting a measurement of possibly 10 pounds. After some more prodding around, he sat down and said 5 words that suddenly changed the game: "I don't think it'll fit". Logan's head was no where near being engaged and even if it did engage itself, my OB was terribly worried about shoulder distortion- which is when the baby's shoulder becomes trapped beneath the pelvic bone, causing the nerves to be stretched and injured. The risks were high... a limp or paralyzed arm, lack of muscle control in the arm, hand, or wrist, and lack of feeling or sensation in the arm or hand. So, after leaving us alone for a few minutes to talk, Joe and I decided to go for the c-section. So, at 11:30am, my OB called the hospital and "booked" me for surgery at 3:30pm. At 4:28pm, Logan William, 9 pounds, 9 oz., 20 3/4" made his beautiful debut!


No comments:

Post a Comment