Saturday, September 15, 2012

34 years, a Hug, and an Idea

My Grandfather, Birdie's Great-Grandfather, started a gifting tradition when my brother and I were first born. Every year for Christmas and birthdays we would receive a set of proof coins from the Canadian mint. At the time, my brother and I would do nothing more than admire them in their velvet boxes, which would give off that distinctive crack! when you snapped them shut. Over the years we collected and stored them and eventually when I moved to the States, a few made it with me, with others still left behind, tucked safely away for when I am ready for them. My Grandfather's rule was simple: I could cash them in whenever I wanted but he wanted me to cash them in and use the money for something that would give back to me. Examples of this were a down payment for a car or a house, or some sort of investment. I agreed.

Back in April, I had a "dream" about my Grandfather... I don't receive visits from him often, but when he comes, he comes in that blissful middle place right before you are sound asleep yet on the verge of possibly still being awake. It's that middle place where the most delightful times occur. This time was no exception. He came and hugged me and in light of everything that has been going on with my family and some tough times we (particularly my Mom) had been sharing he told me everything was going to be okay. He also told me he had an idea and I would know it later.

When I awoke that morning I hadn't immediately remembered his visit and it took me the better part of the morning to snap to and have that "Oh yeah!" moment. As soon as I remembered his visit, I had an idea. Born in Poland, his Canadian citizenship was something he valued and treasured a great deal and as much as he displayed his proud Polish heritage, he was thrilled and honored to be a Canadian as well.

That afternoon, after telling J my plan, we took 2 of the coins he had given me, dating back to 1978, and cashed them in. I took the money, bought Logan's passport (E already had hers), went and had 4 very precisely measured photos taken, and applied. It came on Friday in the mail... L & E are both now Canadian citizens.

34 years later, I don't think my Dzia could have ever guessed that his investment to me would allow me to have my children, his great-grandchildren, obtain something so precious and so valued.

Well, Dzia, I have followed your rule, your gift lives on...

thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment