Monday, September 3, 2012

Drinking It In

On the eve of tomorrow (also known as the night before the first day of school with kids), I found myself extra sentimental and nostalgic (and a friend of mine on Facebook said the same thing so it must be going around). I found myself wanting to photo.graph.ev.ery.thing. Birdie's toothbrush laying in the sink? That could be a photo. His trademark amber necklace hanging off the edge of his change table? A landmark opportunity. The diaper wipe I used to wipe his face after dinner smooshed into a ball sitting on the place mat? Legendary material.

In the end, I didn't take a single photograph.

Living on the East coast, we have 4 seasons just like I had in Western Canada, and one moves with the times: color changes, new fragrances, and the general holiday mix that creates a particular holiday swill. Right now, I am forced to drink that swill and I am more than okay with it. I even got a little giddy when I pulled out the purple corduroy pants for E and gasp! was able to use L's Fall jacket during a particularly heavy downpour last night. Sometimes swill can be good. It moves you forward, nudges you ever so gently until you realize you cannot wait to make crockpot applesauce and good GOD you will be the first one on that hayride at the orchard.

Back to the photographs. After much deliberation, I decided not to take those photographs because after even more deliberation, I have decided to take the Fall semester off from my Doctorate. I have too much to do and experience between now and Christmas and I will resume my studies in January. The decision (although still awaiting official University approval) doesn't mean that I have to take fewer photographs, but it does mean I will get to experience a little more firsthand for a few more months.

In other words, I get to take another sip.

Hang on, it's a fun downhill ride to Christmas! :)

**Update: my request was officially approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment